Manly Library has a number of resources available to anyone researching their family history. There are starter kits to help with the first step, and a genealogy collection that includes:
- Access to internet resources
- CD-ROMs covering births, deaths and marriages
- Microform (microfiche & microfilm) resources
- Reference books
The Genealogy Collection
- Print Collection – a selection of reference materials covering guides to tracing ancestors, including guides for beginners and to tracing ancestors overseas or aboriginal ancestors; The Australian Biographical and Genealogical Record; convict, pioneer & immigrant records; information about recording your family history; and guides to internet resources.
- Periodicals including, Descent: the Journal of the Society of Australian Genealogists; Australian Family Tree Connections; Genealogical Research Directory: National & International.
- CD-ROMS - indexes to births, deaths & marriage records and a range of other directories, including some Post Office directories and NSW Cemetery directories. Preference is given to NSW indexes.
- Microform Resources - includes both microfiche and microfilm formats. Resources cover indexes to convict records and assisted immigrants records, and other immigration records, registers of coroner inquests, shipping and free passenger records.
- Internet Access - there are now many on-line resources to trace your ancestors. Some are free resources, while others are commercial enterprises that charge a “fee to see”. The Library provides a list of possible on-line resources to get you started.
- Genealogy Databases – Ancestry Library database is available for use free of charge in the Library.
Starting your family history
Starting Your Family History Kit contains information about ‘How to start your family history’, lists of Australian, New Zealand, United Kingdom and Ireland registries to obtain birth, death and marriage certificates, a list of useful internet resources, a family group chart and a pedigree chart to help you record your research.
Start researching and recording your family history now, with the help of the Manly Library’s Genealogy Service. For more information about researching and recording your family’s history, contact the Library on (02) 9976 1732.
Workshops and Blogs